Dates: 8 weeks in the summer. Eligibility: High school students grades 10-12, ages 16 and above; U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents. Location: varied, Department of Navy (DoN) laboratories. Stipend: First Year Interns $3,300, Returning Interns $3,800. Application deadline: October 23, 2015
Science and Engineering Apprenticeship Program
Submission Dates: Applications due late October. Check the Website for more information.
SEAP places academically talented high school students with interest and ability in science and mathematics as apprentices in Department of Defense laboratories for eight weeks during the summer. These students work with scientists and engineers who act as mentors. The program offers students a unique and positive experience in their fields of interest, thus encouraging them to pursue careers in science and engineering. There are more than 25 Navy laboratories currently participating in the program.
The apprenticeship program is designed to encourage students to pursue science and engineering careers; acquaint qualified high school students with the activities of Department of Defense (DoD) laboratories through summer science and engineering research experiences; to provide students with opportunities in and exposure to scientific and engineering practice and personnel not available in their school environment; to expose those students to DoD research and engineering activities and goals in a way that encourages a positive image and supportive attitude toward our defense community; and to prepare these students to serve as positive role models for their peers by encouraging other high school students to take more science and math courses.
- High school students who have completed at least Grade 9. A graduating senior is eligible to apply
- Must be 16 years of age for most laboratories. Some laboratories may accept 15-year-old applicants. Please check individual lab description for more details.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens and participation by Permanent Resident Aliens is limited. Please check individual lab descriptions for participation of Permanent Resident Aliens.
- In some laboratories, security clearance is required.
- For more information please visit http://seap.asee.org/faq
Award Duration and Stipend
- Participating students spend 8 weeks during the summer doing research. Program dates are fixed and cannot be changed. Students are expected to participate 8 continuous weeks. No vacation time is allowed during these eight weeks.
- It is strongly recommended to apply to laboratories that are close to your residence, since housing is not provided. Each student is responsible for transportation to and from the laboratory site.
First year intern $3,300
Returning interns $3,800
Students will be selected on the basis of grades, science and mathematics courses taken, scores on national standardized tests, areas of interest, teacher recommendations and personal student statement.
Call 202-331-3558 or email the SEAP Team at email@example.com